Flora Carlile-Kovacs: Prefelt Rug Workshop with Nomadic Design
June 18 @ 9:00 am - June 21 @ 4:00 pm| $625
In Kyrgyzstan, when a daughter got married, her mother and her relatives felted her a rug. Using their ancient symbols they felted her best wishes and good luck into the rug that stayed with her for the rest of her life. In this workshop, you’ll create a felted rug (approximately 3×5’) with the instructor’s pre-felt technique, using either the several hundred-year-old symbols or creating your very own.
Come and join us for a four-day workshop and learn
– about the traditional symbols of the rugs
– about various kinds of wool that fits
– how to plan a powerful design
– how to make your own prefelt with color transitions
– how to construct and felt a large rug
– how to turn the soft prefelt into a strong and durable felt
– some small tricks of the trade that make the felting process easier
and get rewarded with a beautiful felted rug you complete by the end of the class!
Creating a wet felted rug requires good physical condition.