- This event has passed.
Whidbey Plein Air Paint Out
August 19 @ 10:00 am - August 20 @ 4:00 pm
One event on August 18, 2023 at 6:00 pm
One event on August 19, 2023 at 10:00 am
Whidbey Plein Air Paint Out!
Artist Registration: $70
Paint Out: Monday, August 14th – Thursday, August 17th, 2023, all-day painting hours, locations all around Whidbey Island
Artwork Submission: Thursday, August 17th, 4pm – 6pm @ PNWAS (Pacific NorthWest Art School)
Gala: Friday, August 18th, 6pm – 9pm @ PNWAS
Weekend Art Sale: Saturday, August 19th & Sunday, August 20th, 10am – 4pm @ PNWAS
Plein Air Artists! We want YOU next summer for our fourth annual Plein Air event, August 14-17, 2023 on gorgeous Whidbey Island. For four days, come paint the beaches, forests, townscapes, and vistas that Whidbey affords, with an emphasis on Coupeville. We will then celebrate you and the art you have created by holding a Gala and Art Sale, including awards, on August 18th, 2022. Artist Registration is $70. The event is open to all, novice to professional. The Paint Out and Gala are fundraisers for the Pacific NorthWest Art School.
Art Lovers! This event is free to the general viewing public and we would love to have you come out to view the Plein Air artists in action during the week. On Friday, August 18th, please come to the Pacific NorthWest Art School from 6pm – 9pm for the Gala and Art Sale. $25 Gala patron tickets will be available for purchase early Summer 2023. The Gala is free to artists registered for the Paint Out.
* The PNWAS will be open each of the four days for artist check-in from 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. for having panels authenticated, waivers signed, maps, and other information shared. The school will be the official “rest stop” for water, restrooms and a rest area. We are located at 15 NW Birch St, Coupeville, WA 98239. Our phone number is (360/866) 678-3396 and email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Artist commission is 65%
* Artists can bring and paint as many panels as they wish. Please have all panels authenticated before going out to paint each day. Each artist may submit up to six (6) panels for the Art Sale and Juried Art Show (FYI: if we have a high number of artists submitting work, the number of panels accepted for submission may change due to physical space constraints).
* Artists will be asked to paint in specific areas each day for a couple of hours to draw attention to artists and their work i.e. downtown Coupeville, the nearby Ebey’s Landing National Historic Reserve, etc.
* Artists are free to sell their work to the public if approached during any of the paint out days to further boost their sales revenue. We would, of course, have this on the honor system and do ask that sales be run through the Art School; this approach will boost sales for the artist and the Art School. Patrons can contact Art School staff during normal business hours in person or by calling 360 678 3396.
* Artists are welcome to paint the entire four days or just one or two as fits their schedules, and then submit their best art on Thursday afternoon, if they so choose, to be exhibited and sold; at the Gala, there will be awards presented for Best of Show, First, Second, and Third Place; the People’s Choice Award will be voted on by those attending the Gala.
* Artists will then have the option to leave their work up for the weekend to maximize sales. We encourage all artists to leave their work up which will help facilitate the return of any unsold work. Patrons from off-island will be able to take purchased artwork with them but local patrons will be asked to leave them up throughout the weekend.
* Lodging information will be provided upon request